AdBrite

Your Ad Here

AdBrite

Your Ad Here
Showing posts with label The Lunsford Post. Show all posts
Showing posts with label The Lunsford Post. Show all posts

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Federer aims to claim 6th Wimbledon

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) — Roger Federer is building something of a reputation as an on-court crier, and he remembers well the first time he wept after winning a match.

It was July 2, 2001, at Wimbledon, the tournament that means more to him than any other. Federer was 19, up-and-coming and making his Centre Court debut in the fourth round when he stunned Pete Sampras, who was 29, seeded No. 1 and seeking an eighth Wimbledon title.

"I used to cry almost after every single match I lost as a junior. It's not at all a feeling like it's the end of the world — of course not, because tennis is not everything — but some people can control it, some people can't," Federer said. "Crying after a victory is something that started when I beat Pete."

Back then, Federer had yet to reach the semifinals, let alone win a title, at any Grand Slam event. Eight years later, as Wimbledon begins Monday with a roof over Centre Court for the first time, Federer arrives at the All England Club bidding to break Sampras' career record of 14 major championships.

And the complexion of Federer's pursuit of a sixth Wimbledon title changed significantly Friday: He doesn't have to worry about dealing with his nemesis, defending champion Rafael Nadal, who withdrew from the tournament because of bad knees.

Nadal's exit was the talk of the grounds Saturday, and Federer called it "very disappointing for the tournament, and also for myself."

"It's unfortunate. I'm sad for him, because it must have been a very difficult decision to make," Federer said. "I'd love to play him. He's my main rival. We've had some wonderful matches over the years, and especially the one here last year was the one that obviously stands out."

Ah, yes, last year, when Nadal reduced Federer to tears by winning the longest singles final in tournament history, a 4-hour, 48-minute test of skill and will that ended 9-7 in the fifth set as darkness descended.

That 2008 setback ended Federer's streaks of 40 consecutive wins at Wimbledon and 65 in a row on grass, and he is ready to start anew.

"The focus is on the first round — and the first point," Federer said. "Trying to regain my Wimbledon crown, I guess, stands over trying to beat Pete's record right now."

There was something apt about the way Federer tied Sampras' Grand Slam mark by completing a career Grand Slam at the French Open, a tournament the American never won and that the Swiss star came so close to winning, year after year, before finally breaking through this month.

There also would be something fitting if Federer surpasses Sampras at Wimbledon, a tournament that means so much to both men — and where their paths crossed all those years ago.

"I don't feel like I have extra pressure now having to win the tournament or trying to. I mean, anyway, there's a lot of weight off my shoulders since Paris," Federer said. "So I'm entering tournaments, I guess, a little bit more relaxed these days."

On the day Federer won at Roland Garros, Sampras said he expected Federer to get No. 15 "in the next couple of weeks." Asked whether he would travel to the All England Club this year, Sampras replied: "We'll sort of see what happens."

Many current players figure Federer is set to re-establish his supremacy at Wimbledon. As 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt put it: "Roger's going to be the one to beat."

The same must be said of the Williams sisters, particularly Venus. As has been the case with Federer in recent years, Wimbledon is their turf.

Venus has played in seven finals at the All England Club, winning five championships, including the past two. Serena has played in four finals, winning two.

Pay no heed to the rankings, which have both sisters behind No. 1 Dinara Safina. Here are the numbers that really matter: Serena has won 10 Grand Slam titles overall, and Venus seven, while Marat Safin's little sister is 0-3 in major finals.

Maria Sharapova, the 2004 Wimbledon champion, can't be counted out, even if her serve has been a trouble spot in her return from shoulder surgery, while a teenager such as Victoria Azarenka or Caroline Wozniacki — who won a grass-court title at Eastbourne on Saturday — could be ready for a breakthrough.

It seems far less likely that someone who isn't a household name will win the men's championship July 5.

For Federer, there are other laurels at stake this fortnight: He could match Nadal's feat from 2008 of winning the French Open and Wimbledon in the same season — that hadn't been done since Bjorn Borg in 1980.

Plus, Federer can reclaim the No. 1 ranking, although he said that doesn't concern him.

Right now, he is focusing on adding to his haul of major championships. He bawled during the postmatch ceremonies after another five-set setback against Nadal at the Australian Open this year, then shed tears of joy when he won the French Open.

Now comes Wimbledon.

"I do think I'm the favorite, actually, with the success I've had and how close I came again last year," said Federer, whose wife is due to give birth to their first child this summer. "Without any disrespect to any of the other players — because I think this year's field is going to be very difficult to topple."

Those words were spoken before Nadal became only the second Wimbledon men's champion in 35 years to decide not to defend his title.

Federer said the rivals chatted briefly Wednesday, and Nadal congratulated him for winning the French Open.

"I asked him how his knee was. He was, like, 'It's OK.' So I kind of knew it wasn't great, because he's very honest to me," Federer said. "So I knew something could be coming up."

Federer had other men in mind, too, such as Andy Murray, the 22-year-old from Scotland who gives local fans a real chance for the first British male champion at the All England Club since Fred Perry in 1936.

Murray reached his first Grand Slam final at last year's U.S. Open, and he showed how his versatility is growing by making the French Open quarterfinals. Then, as if the expectations and pressure weren't going to be onerous enough during Wimbledon, Murray went out and won the grass-court tournament at Queen's Club last weekend, making him that event's first British champion since 1938.

"The buildup beforehand is a little bit more stressful than other tournaments," Murray said, "but once it starts, it's like all the other Slams."

In running down the list of contenders, Federer also named two-time Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick (although that was before the American hurt his foot at Queen's Club), 2008 Australian Open runner-up Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, and French Open runner-up Robin Soderling, who ended Nadal's 31-match winning streak at Roland Garros.

Still — and especially with Nadal out — it all comes back to Federer, even as far as he is concerned.

"I feel like I've got the game, I've got the mental approach and I've got the experience ... to win at Wimbledon many more times," Federer said. "But I'd like to get this one, this year."



by the associated press

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Formula One drivers to form a new series

The future of Formula One is in the balance after a number of teams confirmed they are to form a breakaway series, sparking the greatest upheaval in the sport's 60-year history..

The shock announcement came after a meeting of the eight rebel teams which make up the Formula One Teams' Association - Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn GP, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso - during which they all made it clear they will not sign up unconditionally for the 2010 season.

The meeting was sparked by the continuing deadlock in talks with FIA president Max Mosley over controversial budget cap proposals.

In a sharply worded statement that pointed accusing fingers at the FIA and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, FOTA said: "The FIA and the commercial rights holder (Ecclestone) have campaigned to divide FOTA.

"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this, and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise.

"It has become clear, however, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship.

"These teams, therefore, have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners."

Mr Mosley unilaterally announced the introduction of a voluntary £40 million budget cap at the end of April without consulting the teams, most notably Ferrari.

It was his publish-and-be-damned attitude to push forward his plans that has angered the teams, and despite hours of negotiations to resolve the furore, it has culminated in the greatest rift to strike F1 since the championship began in 1950.

However, whilst FOTA have now confirmed their intention to stage a breakaway series, actual implementation is another matter and the teams will have to tackle a number of issues in order to succeed - including a major legal wrangle involving Ferrari which could last months.



by the press association

Rain-shortened Game

BOSTON (AP) — Dan Uggla and Ronny Paulino homered in the second inning, and Ricky Nolasco pitched five solid innings Thursday night before the game was called early in the sixth because of rain, giving the Florida Marlins a 2-1 victory over the Boston Red Sox.

Nolasco (3-6) limited Boston to Kevin Youkilis' homer in the first, striking out five for his first victory in five starts since May 8. The only other Red Sox batter to reach was when David Ortiz hit a high popup that third baseman Emilio Bonifacio dropped for an error when he collided with Uggla behind second base.

The Marlins avoided a sweep in the interleague series after being outscored 14-3 in the first two games.

One night after the Red Sox celebrated their 500th consecutive sellout at Fenway Park, rain kept thousands of ticketholders away — though it was still a sellout — and sent many more scurrying for cover when a steady drizzle turned into a downpour. Jon Lester (5-6) had a 2-2 count on Uggla in the sixth when plate umpire Scott Barry called for the tarp at 8:59 p.m.

For those who stuck around, the scoreboard showed the New York Yankees' loss to the Washington Nationals. Then it showed the Baltimore Orioles beating the New York Mets, the Detroit Tigers beating the St. Louis Cardinals and flipped on the West Coast game between the Oakland Athletics and the Los Angeles Dodgers in the fourth inning.

The game was officially called after a delay of 2 hours, 26 minutes.

Lester gave up two runs and eight hits, striking out four. In his previous three starts, Lester had struck out 34 while allowing seven hits and three earned runs and limiting opposing batters to an .099 average.

Nolasco has put together three solid starts after opening the season with a 2-6 record and 9.07 ERA in his first nine starts.

NOTES: Youkilis had just two hits and 11 strikeouts in the previous five games. ... A scoring change made by the commissioner's office took a June 10 double away from Dustin Pedroia and instead gave an error to New York Yankees right fielder Nick Swisher. Chien-Ming Wang was charged with one fewer earned run from the 6-5 Boston victory. ... Red Sox RHP John Smoltz threw two simulated innings in the bullpen as he tries to get ready for next Thursday's start against Washington — his first since April 27, 2008. ... Boston SS Jed Lowrie had four at-bats in an extended spring training game as he tries to come back from wrist surgery.




by the associated press

Sunday, June 14, 2009

2-1 win over Chivas

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Guillermo Barros Schelotto scored two second-half goals as the Columbus Crew rallied past Chivas USA 2-1 on Sunday to extend their unbeaten streak to nine matches.

Schelotto, who tied the match in the 61st minute, scored the game-winner in the 87th minute for the defending MLS Cup champions. The Argentine forward took a pass from Gino Padula inside the penalty area and slotted a shot past Chivas goalkeeper Zach Thornton for his league-leading 10th goal.

Columbus (4-2-7), which has won three straight at home, is 4-0-5 since starting the season with two draws and two losses. The Crew also moved into a three-way tie for third in the Eastern Conference with Kansas City and Toronto FC.

Eduardo Lillingston scored in the 39th minute for Chivas (8-4-3), which has lost three of its last four and remained tied with Houston for the Western Conference lead.



by the associated press

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Roddick wins at Queen's, with a bomb threat

LONDON (AP) — After the start of the match was delayed by a bomb threat, Andy Roddick defeated Lleyton Hewitt 7-6, 7-6 Thursday to advance to the quarterfinals at Queen's Club.

Tournament officials, who initially said the match was being delayed because of technical issues, disclosed that a spectator had discovered a bomb threat message pinned to a wall. However, a security sweep found nothing.

While waiting for about 20 minutes, the two former champions chatted at the net.

"Obviously, your concern is making sure everyone is safe," Roddick said. "There wasn't really much to be done, and I know they were trying to decide what they were going to do.

"Obviously, we were hoping we were going to get a chance to stay out there and play the match, but that was a first for me."

After trailing 3-1 in the tiebreaker, Roddick closed out the match with his 18th ace to earn a meeting with former finalist Ivo Karlovic. The Croat had 19 aces in a 6-3, 6-4 win over Nicolas Mahut.

James Blake outlasted Sam Querrey 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in an all-American match. Andy Murray also reached the quarterfinals with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

American Mardy Fish defeated Feliciano Lopez 6-1, 6-4, and Juan Carlos Ferrero advanced with a 6-4, 7-6 win over Xavier Malisse.

Neither Roddick or Hewitt was able to gain an edge, with only one break point in the entire match.

Roddick was taken to deuce twice before holding to lead 4-3. In the second set, the second-seeded American faced a break point as Hewitt led 4-3, but the 15th seed was pressured into hitting a forehand long.

The Australian was taken to deuce for the only time in the match when he double-faulted before holding serve to lead 5-4.

"It was tough out there," Roddick said. "The wind is blowing pretty good, and it's gusting. So I don't know if I ever felt comfortable, but I was able to just focus on holds and played all right in the breakers."

The sixth-seeded Blake appeared to be on his way to an easy straight-sets victory after breaking to lead the first set 5-4 and building a 3-0 lead in the second.

But Querrey tied it 3-3 and broke again for 5-4 by forcing a backhand error. After Querrey served out the set, one break of serve at 2-1 in the third set was enough to earn Blake the win.

"He actually did a good job of being down and still fighting and battling back," Blake said. "He really kept his head up and kept working, which is a good sign for a young player."

The top-seeded Murray needed just one break in each set to secure a comfortable win.

"He started off well and served well, but after I got a break at the end of the first set, I felt more comfort and went for my shots more," Murray said.




by the associated press